Meet the best local estate agent

Non-resident landlord scheme


What Is It and What Should You Know About It?

Non-Resident Landlord Scheme Explained

International and non-resident taxes abstract concept vector illustration.

You may have heard the term Non-Resident Landlord Scheme, or NRLS, and wondered how it impacts you. Depending on each specific situation, this tax on rental income payment scheme can apply to landlords, tenants, and letting agents.

Although, like anything having to do with the state, it may sound complicated, our team at REMAX Star Canning Town – made up of NRLS-registered estate agents, can help you understand everything there is to know about the NRLS and how we can take on all the obligations that may apply to you.

To learn more about how we can help, do not hesitate to contact us at 0207 055 0441, or to book an appointment to see us.

What is a Non-Resident Landlord?


For the purposes of the Non-Resident Landlord scheme, a non-resident landlord is an individual renting out a property in the UK and receiving rental income from it whose usual place of abode is outside the UK. Specifically, the scheme refers to landlords who live outside the UK for more than 6 months every year.

A non-resident landlord may also be a company, a partnership, or a trustee.

For partnerships, each partner is considered a separate landlord as regards their share of the rental income. For properties owned by more than one individual, the NRLS applies to each owner’s rental income share.

Please note that you can be a non-resident landlord under the NRLS and still be considered a UK tax resident for tax purposes.

What is the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS)?

The Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS) refers to a tax on UK rental income that applies to non-resident landlords, their tenant(s), or letting agents.

To put it simply, the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme defines how tax is applied to income obtained from renting a UK property when the property owner lives overseas for more than 6 months out of a year.

To ensure that the due tax is paid, the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) imposes the obligation to withhold the tax on the landlord’s UK letting agent or their tenant when they pay more than £100 a week in rent for the property.

For the NRLS, the tax year is considered to run from April 1st to March 31st.

Non-Resident Landlord Obligations

property rent

According to the NRLS, you can choose to receive your rental income with deduction at the source (the letting agent or tenant, depending on the case), or gross.

If you want to receive the gross rental income, you will have to report the rental income when you file your Self Assessment tax return and you cannot be late on any tax returns or payments. You will need to fill in and submit the NRL1 form online or by post.

In some cases, choosing to receive the rental income gross may not be to your advantage as you may be subject to paying tax both in the country you reside in and the UK.

If you want the tax to be deducted at the source, you will receive the net rental income, after the withholding tax has been deducted by the letting agent (if one exists) or the tenant (if a letting agent does not exist).

Tenant Obligations

Tenants who pay more than £100 a week in rent to a landlord who lives outside the UK for more than 6 months per year and does not have a letting agent have the obligation under the NRLS to deduct the tax on rental income that the landlord must pay.

The £100 a week threshold applies to each landlord and each tenant. Therefore, in the case of jointly-owned properties or when there is more than one tenant on the lease, you must calculate the tax deduction accordingly.

If the tenant pays any tax under the scheme and does not deduct it from the rent, they have the right to recover this amount from the landlord.

If you are uncertain of your landlord’s situation and want to know whether or not you are required to withhold tax according to the NRLS, make further enquiries with your landlord or the HMRC.

If the NRLS applies to you as a tenant, you are required to contact HMRC and ask to register for the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme. They will ask you for your name and address, the name and address of your landlord, and register your application.

After that, you will have to calculate the tax, file form NRLQ, and pay the tax no later than 30 days as of the end of each quarter, namely at the end of June, September, December, and March. The tax rate is 20% applicable to the amount of rent paid to the landlord.

You will also have to file form NRLY by July 5th each year to HMRC and the landlord, provide the landlord with certificate NRL6, and keep records for four years. Records should include the amount of rent you have paid and the dates and the expenses you have incurred, including copies of invoices or receipts.

Letting Agent Obligations


When tenants pay the landlord’s rental income to a letting agent and the landlord has not requested to receive the gross income, the NRLS requires the letting agent to withhold the due tax.

For the purposes of the NRLS, if you are an estate agent, a solicitor or an accountant, a friend, or a relative and are acting on behalf of a non-resident landlord managing their UK rental business and you receive their rental income or have control over the direction of the income, you are also considered a letting agent.

Each year, letting agents must submit an annual return to the HMRC declaring the amount of rent they have collected on behalf of the landlord. No limit applies to the amount of rent applicable when the tax is withheld by letting agents and the basic rate of the tax is 20% minus deductible expenses.

Deductible expenses can include:

  • Accountancy Expenses
  • Advertising Costs
  • Cost Of Inventories
  • Cleaning, Maintenance, Or Gardening Fees
  • Council Tax For The Period When The Property Is Vacant
  • Property Insurance And Insurance Against Loss Of Rental Income
  • Allowable Loan Interest
  • Other Legal And Professional Fees
  • As Gas, Water And Electricity Costs
  • Small Repairs.

Letting agents are required to apply for the NRLS no later than 30 days as of the start of the tenancy by filing an NRL4i form and submit an NRLY form to HMRC and a form NRL6 to the landlord by July 5th. They also must calculate the due tax for each quarter, pay it to HMRC no later than 30 days as of the end of each quarter, and submit the quarterly return (form NRLQ).

Letting agents must also keep clear records of paid rent and correspondence with the landlord, as well as records referring to expenses paid for the landlord for four years.

Like all state affairs, the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme may seem confusing or complicated to landlords, especially since tax laws and regulations are constantly changing.

Our experienced NRLS-registered letting agents are always up to date on all the latest changes and requirements and always ready to help landlords and relieve them of any stress and hassle relating to their UK tax liabilities. To learn more about how we can assist you, do not hesitate to contact us 0207 055 0441.

5/5 - (606 votes)

Our Agents

What Our Customer's Say

Alvaro Caiza
Alvaro Caiza
Excellent service. Rizwan helped me immensely to make my purchase and he was always there making sure that the process went smoothly. Highly recommended agency.
irina irina
irina irina
The most professional agent you can ever find. I dealt with Rizwan. He was on my case day and night! He was doing everything possible to help to progress quickly the sale of the apartment. I strongly recommend him and the company!
isabel pan
isabel pan
租客只提前了15天告诉我们要搬到其他国家去,我们就马上通过朋友找到Remax房产公司, Adil非常迅速地约我看了房子,帮我指出需要重新装修的地方,安排维修部门报价,装修。不到一个月就帮我找到租客。 非常满意他们的服务。
pei jin
pei jin
I used to manage my property by myself. However, it's a bit painful to chase rent from tenants and handle maintenance issues. Since my tenants moved out recently, I thought I would use an agent to manage my property. I compared quite a few letting agents and finally chose Remax. My first thought is that their management fee is lower than most agents. One of my friends also uses this agent and they recommended me Adil from the Canning Town branch. Adil is excellent. His professionalism makes me confident and he does not let me down. He rented out my property quickly with good tenants. Remax has its own dedicated maintenance team and Khalid give me lots of good suggestions. I recommend Remax as a full management agent.
asad ali
asad ali
Dealt with Masood Qaiser from Real Estate Agents London, he was very helpful and provided a very professional and diligent service.
Azhar UL Hassan
Azhar UL Hassan
When I handed over my property management to Real Estate Agents London, I wasn't just looking for help, I was hoping for peace of mind. Their proactiveness, from clear tenant communication to prompt maintenance handling, has been fantastic. They know their stuff inside and out, making the whole process seamless and stress-free. If you're looking for top-notch property management, Real Estate Agents London is the only name you need.
Muhammad Sarwar
Muhammad Sarwar
As a busy professional, juggling property management wasn't exactly my idea of a good time. That's when I found Real Estate Agents London. From the first meeting, I knew they were different. Their dedication, expertise, and personalized approach were exactly what I needed. They take care of my property like it's their own, and that's a level of service you just don't find everywhere. Highly recommended!
Toufique Miah
Toufique Miah
honestly this is soo bad left me waiting no calls nothing agent confirmed viewing did not confirm address nothing, called and spoke to someone said will let me know but not heard anything
wang dehui
wang dehui
I am the landlord, has been with Remax for over 3 years. My property is located in Newham council. It was always great experience ever since then. My ex agent Iulian was amazing, but he left the company unfortunately. Right now the letting manager Adil and Khalid are helping to managing my property. Again they are fast and effective, very professional. Definitely recommend Remax for the landlord who is looking for the reliable agent. 值得信任的房屋中介👍
Jian Huang
Jian Huang
I am impressived that Iulian Gherasim who has been always tried his best to do the service towards finding the right tenants for us in short period, reply back straight away whenever I have a question ect. I have recommended him and the agent to my friend in March,Mr Gherasim has found her the right tenants within a week time. And she is happy with the service too. I will recommend REMAX to whoever I know needs help through the rent.

Are you looking to

We need to know if you require a Sales or Lettings valuation to provide you with the right local expertise.