The Best Areas in London for Families
Discover the most family-friendly London areas
Searching for a place to live in London with young children doesn’t mean you have to compromise on space or peace and quiet. London has some amazing options for young families looking for good school districts, ample green spaces and spacious homes. Our estate agents have put together a list of their top picks for best areas in London for families.
When choosing what London area to relocate with your children to, you must factor in many things. How well the schools in that district are ranked, having medical facilities and amenities nearby, as well as a low crime rate and peacefulness will matter to you.
Luckily, there are still a few London areas that can provide that. Not all of London is hustle and bustle and quiet towns with a suburban feel are still available for young families.
Located in the East End of London, Stratford has transformed from industrial area to residential haven over the last decades. The Olympic regeneration schemes undertaken in the area have made Stratford one of the most sought-after areas in London for young families. It is continuing its regeneration providing new jobs and plenty of economic opportunities.
It offers great transport links to the rest of the city and the City Centre available through the London Underground, the London Overground, the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) and the National Rail.
Stratford hosts some of the best schools in London, such as:
The London Academy of Excellence is a top state 6th form sixth provider established in 2012. It is highly recognized in London and the entire UK. At the London Academy for Excellence, students benefit from a varied co-curricular programme, including sport, music and the performing arts.
University Square Stratford is a £33 million partnership between Birkbeck, University of London and the University of East London. It is a university campus that offers East London students access to a wide range of courses that help them gain a university qualification and enhance their future prospects. Its state-of-the-art facilities include:
- A specialist education advice and guidance team
- Student centre and helpdesk
- 300-seat lecture theatre
- Specialist dance and performance arts spaces
- A dedicated learning centre for independent or group study and learning.
The East London Arts and Music school ELAM is a world-class academy dedicated to students between the ages of 16 and 19. Since 2014, ELAM offers young students the resources to pursue careers in the music, games design and film and television sectors.
Stratford features many new residential developments delivering buyers and renters high-quality modern homes. Some of the most popular new-builds in Stratford are:
- Chobham Manor – with 850 homes, community facilities, shops and 1,500 square metres of landscaped open space
- New Stratford Works – with 137 apartments and 17 maisonettes
- New Garden Quarter – 67 Shared Ownership homes with 1, 2 & 3 bedrooms set in a beautiful garden square
- Glasshouse Gardens – two residential buildings 30 and 17 storey high (Glasshouse Gardens West and Glasshouse Gardens East) with studio, 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units
Property prices in Stratford are rising at the highest rate in the UK, 429% over the last decades. Average rental prices here range from £323 for a 1-bedroom property to £1,038 for a 3 to 4-bedroom property. Sale price averages range from £165,000 for a 1-bedroom property to £850,000 for a 4-bedroom property.
Stratford also offers great pub, bar, and restaurant options and it’s home to the Westfield Stratford City shopping centre featuring over 300 shops and eateries.
Located in the Epping Forest district of Essex, Chigwell is known for being an affluent area that offers residents a peaceful, suburban feel with proximity to the City Centre. It’s difficult to beat its historic feel and lush gardens, as well as its amazing display of magnificently luxurious homes.
Great transport links will get you from Chigwell to London’s City Centre in no time. Chigwell is only 12 miles northeast from Charing Cross. Regular bus services service the area well. There are also two Underground stations running on the Central Line – Chigwell station and Grange Hill station.
Chigwell is also known for being one of the best ranked school districts. It hosts schools and sporting facilities such as:
- Chigwell School dates back to 1629 and is a top private school in Chigwell. It features great amenities for students, including a 100-acre site, sports facilities, a medical centre, libraries and a chapel.
- Bancroft School is an independent HMC day school for children aged 7 to 18 dating back to 1737. Set in a beautiful Victorian building on the outskirts of Epping Forest, it provides a first-class education for over a thousand pupils.
- David Lloyds Gym is a state-of-the-art sporting facility located near Epping Forest. It features an ultramodern gym, excellent tennis facilities, a brand new Spa Retreat and the latest exercise classes.
- Stapleford Flight Centre is great if you own a private jet or plan to. It has been offering training for private and commercial airline pilots for over 45 years.
Chigwell’s homes are described best as mini-mansions. They boast luxurious architecture and lavish gardens. There are also some grand family homes and period houses in the area. Flats with top-of-the-line amenities are also available here. Property prices for these homes are not what you would call affordable and they have been on the rise in recent years.
The best area in Chigwell is Forest Lane – a secluded road with deluxe detached homes with large gardens and swimming pools. Another popular area in Chigwell is on High Road, Chigwell’s centre. Properties here have golf course views, lots of bedrooms (six to seven), spacious garages and grand entrances.
Other popular Chigwell areas include Manor Road, Stradbroke Drive, Hainault Road, the Courtland Estate.
The properties close to the Underground stations are popular for buyers. They guarantee a short commute and are usually new developments with underground parking and private gardens.
Located on the Isle of Dogs, in the East London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Canary Wharf has been busy over the last 30 years. It has transformed from industrial wasteland to major financial centre. This shift has also brought with it massive investments in residential developments offering homes to the area’s young professionals working in financial services and IT.
Canary Wharf offers great access to the City and West End on the Jubilee Line and several DLR stations with links to the Tube. Regular bus services run on several main lines and river bus services run regularly from Canary Wharf Pier. It is also in close proximity to London City Airport.
New riverside housing developments are taking over the area’s skyline, offering contemporary apartments in glass-fronted buildings and breath-taking views. Some of the most popular new-builds in Canary Wharf include: 10 Park Drive, South Quay Plaza, One Park Drive, Dollar Bay and The Landmark Pinnacle.
Canary Wharf offers its residents and ideal location in the heart of everything, world-class amenities and many fun attractions like: the Canary Wharf Tower, the Museum of London Docklands, Billingsgate Market and Canada Park Square. It also offers many parks and entertainment opportunities and features several shopping malls and many adjacent café and restaurant options.
Following in the footsteps of Canary Wharf, this amazing landmark development is a new Island neighbourhood located on one of the best-connected sites in London. It was designed to complement the business districts located in its vicinity and provide a Manhattan feel in the centre of London.
City Island is an ambitious riverside project sitting on 4.68 ha of land and comprising 1,706 new homes in flats and townhouses and many modern amenities like a gym and a swimming pool. It also features 5,978 sq m of commercial space, 13,856 sq m of retail and community spaces. The 1st phase of the project is already complete and the 2nd phase is under construction.
As of 2018, the City Island hosts the new state-of-the-art home of the English National Ballet. Since 1950, the English National Ballet has been investing in unparalleled ballet performance and innovation. It is the UK’s leader in creative learning and engagement practice.
City Island also features a new footbridge providing access to the Crossrail and DLR lines, amazing views of the River Thames and plenty of cafes, shops, restaurants and cultural facilities.
Located in the Newham Borough of London, Canning town is an up-and-coming neighbourhood sitting north of the Royal Victoria Dock and east of the River Lea. Major regeneration programs are underway in this area, aiming to revive its economy and community with investments worth £3.7 billion.
The Canning Town and Custom House Regeneration Programme was initiated in 2012. It features residential and mixed-use developments and will deliver a total of 10,000 new homes. Plans also include two new town centres. One of them, the Hallsville Quarter, sits opposite of Canning Town station and will feature many shops, restaurants, a cinema and a hotel plus 340 new homes.
Investments in Canning Town are dedicated to increasing the appeal of the area for young professionals and provide them with all the modern housing and amenities they need to make this area their home. The older housing stock is being replaced with high-end, contemporary buildings offering gyms, swimming pools, concierge services and everything else you could dream of.
Vermilion tower and Hallsville Quarter are the most popular residential developments in Canning Town. The area also offers houses at reasonable prices and very good rental prices, making it affordable for young professionals working in Canary Wharf and the City.
Average rental prices for a one-bedroom apartment are around £1,500 per month, and £1,900 for two-bedroom properties.
As for schools, Canning Town is home to reputable educational institutions such as:
- The Brampton Manor School is a dynamic 11-18 school that serves the Newham community. Students of all abilities and from a wide variety of backgrounds benefit from a rich curriculum of academic and vocational qualifications, excellent care, guidance and support here. It includes great learning resources such as a modern theatre, TV and recording studios, outstanding sports and fitness facilities, as well as well-equipped classrooms, workshops and laboratories.
- University of East London’s Stratford Campus is centred around University House, a 19th-century building serving as the home of the Cass School of Education and Communities, the School of Health Sport and Bioscience and the School of Psychology. As of 2008, the campus also hosts a Centre for Clinical Education and as of 2013 a new £13 million library.
Transport-wise, Canning Town is now served by the Jubilee Line of the Underground and the future Elizabeth Line is also set to feature a station at Custom House.